Respect for nature and each other.
Give back. Move forward. Prosper locally.
A collaborative, creative space supporting sustainable practices.
Whether you are a seasoned grower, greenhouse hobbyist or creative entrepreneur, the Smith Mill Works dynamic environment is designed to support your venture and share your passion for sustainability and growing Asheville’s local economy. We partner with like-minded individuals and businesses who want to serve the local community by farming responsibly and bolster the local food supply by providing restaurants, farmer’s markets and food trucks with wholesome, locally grown options.
At Smith Mill Works, you’ll be surrounded by other sustainability-focused businesses just like yours. Maybe their products or operations are wildly different, but you’ll find friendly and committed people who are doing amazing work in the WNC economy. Need ideas for development or outreach? You have options. Need a place for your product? Mother Earth Produce (one of our members) might need what you’re making! Need to rethink your business strategy? We have a business consultant onsite that will meet with you for a free check-up. These kinds of collaborations are the norm at SMW. The management and the tenants are committed to partnerships and investing in the success of everyone here, while preserving our natural world, operating sustainably and ethically, and building strong, profitable businesses!
Committed to a sustainable and mutually beneficial community.
“In our everyday lives, we may accept change grudgingly. In the garden, however, we nurture and celebrate its stunning beauty. All gardens remind us that we are part of a larger universe.”
– Lauri Brunton and Erin Fournier from The Sanctuary Garden.
Inner and Outer Communities
- At SMW we refer our community as two entities: an inner community and an outer community.
- The inner community is comprised of all of our tenant-partners and organizations that we directly interact on a regular basis with to create innovation and growth. The outer community is everyone else who we can benefit.
- Our creations and collaborations within our inner community will ripple out and create positive change throughout the outer community. This change will take the form of education, food access and security, and healther outcomes for all those interacting with our community and its products.
- Most local WNC residents and tourists taste and utilize the fruits of our labors at restaurants, schools, businesses and farmers markets. The collective goal of the SMW Community is to provide greater food security and hunger relief to our WNC community.
Advantages of SMW Community
- At SMW you’ll be surrounded by other sustainability-focused businesses just like yours. Maybe their products or operations will be wildly different, but you’ll find friendly and committed people who are doing amazing work in the WNC economy. Need ideas for development or outreach? You have options. Need a place for your product? Mother Earth Produce (one of our members) might need what you’re making! Need to rethink your business strategy? We have a business consultant onsite that will meet with you for a free check-up. These kinds of collaborations are the norm at SMW. The management and the tenants are committed to partnerships and investing in the success of everyone here, while preserving our natural world, operating sustainably and ethically, and building strong, profitable businesses!
- Your neighbors: merchandising, consulting, growing, innovation
- Distribution options
- Consulting, support, advice from specialists and other small business owners
- Breakroom in WH3 for tenants and employees
- Free site-wide WiFi for tenants and guests
- Free Irrigation water for most growers
- On-site outdoor events and gatherings at the 1 acre pond
- Multiple walking trails to relax and explore the sites natural resources
- 10% discount for tenants at LOTUS Farm and Garden Store
- Office Space options, close to growing, manufacturing, or production space
- Farm ID number to apply for grants, loans, crop insurance and other value added government services
- Commercial Address for large deliveries
- Promotion through Smith Mill Works website and social media platforms
Future Plans for SMW
At SMW we have only scratched the surface of all of the potential collaborations that our diverse community will allow us but here is a glimpse of what is in store:
- Regular community gatherings and speaking engagements with community leaders in the sustainability and agricultural fields.
- Future Community resources such as a community seed bank, library, wash stations, cooler space, and even a community cafe (estimated completion 2nd half of 2018).
- Development of a Incubator program for food based-businesses.
- Space for interaction with the greater community including space for events, teaching, tours, and maybe even a winter farmers market.
- A food production facility for the creation of value added products.
- A true farm to table restaurant where you can see the greenhouse your food was grown in.
Partner Spotlight: Sunburst Chef and Farmer
Sunburst Chef and Farmer grows specialty produce in Asheville, NC, 365 days a year, using the best of hydroponics, aquaponics and soil-based techniques to raise edible flowers, seasonal produce and microgreens. Quality, consistency and customer service are what sets Sunburst Chef and Farmer apart in exceeding the expectations of chefs, as well as the discriminating palate of today’s consumer.
Sunburst Chef and Farmer uses the best available techniques in hydroponics, aquaponics and soil-based systems. Hydroponics is the soil-less growing of plants in a nutrient rich solution, while aquaponics is combining aquaculture (raising fish) and hydroponics (soil-less growing of plants) together. The soil-based techniques we employ include raised beds and container growing. Combining these methods allows us to use water efficiently, while providing optimum nutrients to each plant.
Sunburst Chef and Farmer was founded by Charles and Sally Hudson in July of 2014. With over 55 years of combined experience in the food industry, Sally and Charles truly understand the needs of chefs. Chefs have full reign at Sunburst Chef and Farmer to think creatively, and are encouraged to collaborate with us to create customizable produce.
With over 13,800 square feet of greenhouse space at Smith Mill Works, Sunburst Chef and Farmer delivers produce five days a week and can be found in many fine restaurants, specialty food stores and through home distributors.
www.sunburstchefandfarmer.com | 828.552.3700
We nuture partnerships with local entrepreneurs
that follow sustainable-focused values and practices. We believe this collaboration of community within Smith Mill Works of like-minded, local business folks facilitates and accelerates growth, both individually and collectively. The result is a more dynamic and creative workplace and environment.